Saturday, May 11, 2013

Motherless Mothers Day

Motherless Mother's Day - a meaningful term coined by Hope Edelman in attribution to a day most motherless daughter's and brides may secretly dread; a day Hallmark won't allow us to forget. 

To me, the term begs the missing adjective that precedes every well wishing milestone we celebrate. "Happy birthday"; "Merry Christmas"; "Speedy recovery". What can we wish each other on "Motherless Mother's Day"? 

Peace in reconciling our deepest loss? Security in knowing that we are loved and cherished even if our mother's can't affirm that through her words or assuring touch? 

Based on her 2012 Mother's Day blog entry, Hope Edelman would likely say a "grateful mother's day"...Finding that silver lining that embellishes our grief and loss through the ways it has shaped us. 

I think I'll cling to that sliver of optimism. 

I'm thankful for the people who have come into my life to help me grieve. Thankful for a man who loves me in the midst of frequent tears. Thankful for Hope's assuring words -- 

"It gets better. Truly, it does."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written... though of course, I wish you didn't have to write it...

Anonymous said...

The was pretty uneventful for me. I was grateful to celebrate it as a mother myself. But there's a way I just go into autopilot mode whenever it's a birthday or mothers day. I go numb. Not happy, not sad. But often angry at the slightest thing. Being grateful takes work.

Anonymous said...

I like the thought of wishing one another a "comforting motherless mother's day"...